Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review of What I Thought I Knew by Alice Eve Cohen

I did not expect to like this book by Alice Eve Cohen.  I tried for ten years to have a baby and I figured that I would despise reading about a woman who got pregnant, found out there was probably something horrifically wrong about the baby, and then contemplated aborting or giving the baby up for adoption.  However, I really could not put this book down and enjoyed every second of it.  The author was clearly torn between her choices for this unexpected baby.  She wanted to love this baby from the beginning and that is where she evoked my compassion for her.  She could not understand why she did not immediately feel a mother's love for her and she wrestled with the guilt that this brought.  How many of us have at one time wondered if we really love that screaming newborn..especially at 2 am?  I liked the honesty in the writing and the unique style the author used in listing what she "thought she knew" in each chapter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment