Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review of Life Without Summer by Lynne Griffin

Okay...here it is.  I have a two year old with brain cancer.  I say this now because it ties into the book "Life Without Summer."  I knew reading this book would be hard.  The mother in the story, Tessa, loses her daughter when she is horrifically struck by a car in a hit and run accident.  Of course, I still have my beloved boy but I fear the loss of him on a daily basis.  For this reason, I sort of dreaded reading this book because I can IMAGINE her pain.  It was as hard to read as I thought.  Even if you are not facing the loss of child, any mother would have a hard time reading this book.  The pain Tessa feels at losing her only daughter is just heartbreaking.  To be honest, I like to read books to escape life and this book was just too depressing.  It is not a book you want to read unless you like to cry.  It was hard to witness the downhill spiral of this mother and to experience that pain.  I dreaded picking the book up each time.  Okay...I confess here that I did not finish the book.  It was just too sad and too hard for me.  I have a rule that I have to finish a book once I start it and I am breaking that rule on this book.  I promise not to make it a habit!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you chose some heavy hitters with which to start off your blog! I'm glad you liked at least one of them. I think my reaction to Cohen's book was probably a lot like yours to LIFE WITHOUT SUMMER - it just hit too close to home.

    I'm anxious to see what you post next. Thanks for giving me the link - I love it!

    ReplyDelete