Thursday, September 17, 2009

Review of Speed Shrinking by Susan Shapiro

I have to admit that the only reason I chose to read Speed Shrinking by Susan Shapiro was because there was literally no selection at the local library.  It did not sound like a great book but I was hopefully optimistic that it would surprise me.  Sadly, this was not the case.  I forced myself to get through this book and hated every minute.  The main character, Julie, spends most of the book whining about her life which, to me, sounds pretty great.  She has a lucrative book deal, successful husband, amazing apartment, and plenty of money...what's so bad about all that?  Geez...she should walk in my shoes one day!  Her biggest problems are that her best friend and shrink have abandoned her.  Her relationship with her shrink borders on disturbingly obsessive and her constant need to quote his advice makes the book even more annoying.  The author's overuse of dialogue and snappy one-liners were enough to turn me off of the book.  I feel bad that I have reviewed three books in a row and cannot say that I liked any of them.  I seem to be in a rut of reading lousy books. Anyone have a suggestion for a good book to break my streak?

2 comments:

  1. What sort of book are you looking for? I recently listened to Zorro by Isabel Allende and really enjoyed it. I bet it would be just as good (probably better) in written form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like Zorro! I am afraid to admit that I am a HUGE chick lit fan (anything by Sophia Kinsella!). However, I also read a lot of other books. I like anything that is not about vampires or science fiction. I feel like there is nothing good out there right now!

    ReplyDelete