Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Waiting to Surface...a book to read!


It has been a long time since I read a book that I could not stop reading.  If you follow my book reviews, you will see that I am a tough customer to please!  I was so impressed with Waiting to Surface by Emily Listfield.  This book had me so captivated that I would take it with me in the car and hope for a traffic jam so that I could read.  I was that crazy lady in the car next to you reading at all the red lights.  From the beginning, this book draws the reader in with a phone call that informs Sarah that her husband has disappeared.  He was visiting a woman "friend" in Florida and either drowned, intentionally or unintentionally, or just decided to vanish.  Although separated, Sarah has to cope with the unanswered questions that her husband leaves behind.  It is impossible not to be drawn into this story, especially when you know it is based on a true story.  It literally haunted me and had me up at night wondering what happened to the husband and coming up with my own theories.  The characters in this book are so real and deep and their pain is something the reader can feel.  It will make any married woman question how well she really knows her husband and whether he has any hidden secrets.  I was truly sad to finish this book and plan on reading more by this author.

1 comment: