Thursday, January 21, 2010

And I may have found my favorite book of 2010...already!


A few months ago, I started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I got about five pages in and decided that I hated it.  I didn't like the incorrect grammar (I am an English major!) and I thought I would hate reading a book about maids.  When the list of the best books of 2009 came out, and this book was on it, I decided that I better give the book another chance.  I am so glad I picked this book up again because it will likely be one of my favorite books of 2010.  I am so impressed that this is the first book by this author and I she writes another soon.  There is so much to like about this book.  The book is written from the perspective of different women which gives it a depth and allows the reader to connect to each of the character's.  This book also has an intense story that deals with how African American maids deal with their relationships to their bosses during the Civil Rights Movement.  However, this intensity is artfully balanced with humorous moments and characters that are just downright funny.  I found myself experiencing a huge range of emotions while reading this book, which is quite an accomplishment for the author!  Another feat of this author is how well she makes the book come to life.  The descriptions of the characters and setting enabled me to create a clear picture in my head.  It made the book even harder to  put down because I felt like a part of the story.  One reason I especially loved this book is that it subtly teaches deep lessons to the reader that hold true today.  I came away from the book remembering that there are no "lines" and that people are just people, regardless of race, class, or color.  I have heard rumors that the book is being considered for a movie and I know I will go see it.

1 comment:

  1. I love THE HELP - it was definitely one of my favorite reads from last year. So glad you enjoyed it ... poor grammar and all :)

    ReplyDelete