Monday, January 25, 2010

Once Was Lost...Just Okay


I am a big fan of Sara Zarr's work.  Having read her first two books, I could not wait to read Once Was Lost.  This book was a quick read but it was just average in terms of storyline and character.  It did not draw me in or have any elements that made me want to keep reading.  I would say the one redeeming quality is that it asks some big questions about God that most teens ask, such as "does God really care," and "why does God allow bad things to happen."  It also does a good job of showing teens that it is okay to question God and faith as a part of establishing a personal belief system.  The main character, Samara, struggles to understand her mom's alcoholism and her dad, the town pastor's, response.  I could easily feel her frustration but I thought Zarr could have developed the main character with more personality and depth.  Her father, who never seems to have the right words for Sam, comes across as shallow and a little self-righteous, but again, his character is not fully developed.  I wanted more emotion and substance from each of the characters in this book.  I also felt the plot was weak and predictable and I knew how the book was going to end half way into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment